Top Android App: NewsRoom
We all know how important and useful RSS and news feeds are, and how heavily you rely on them when you’re on the go. Now NewsRoom has joined the party and is one of the fastest news/RSS readers in the Android Market. It brings the functionality and eye candy that you are always longing for. One word to sum it up? Impressive.
Category: News & Weather
Price: Free (Full: $4.99)
Overall Score: 4.7/5
User Interface: 5/5
Ease of Use: 5/5
Three reasons NewsRoom is a must have Android app:
- Low battery usage
- They actually tested NewsRoom against NewsRob and FeedR and found its battery usage to be significantly less. We all know how precious/limited resources and battery life are with mobile phones, so this is a huge upside to NewsRoom.
- Beautiful UI and near independence from using the Browser
- You’ll have quick and easy access to full articles, greatly reducing the time you spend waiting for articles to load. Not to mention once you’re inside the feed of your choice you’ll have nice previews of all articles, so you can decide what you’d actually like to read.
- Swipe motions for easy navigation
- You’ll love navigating through this app. It’s extremely intuitive and makes the app even more functional. Here are a few to start with:
- View all unread articles: Swipe Up from the main menu.
- Mark all feeds read: Swipe Down from the main menu.
- View full article: Swipe Up from the article view.
- Preview articles in a feed: Swipe Left/Right.
- Return to main menu: Swipe Up from article view.
The following three screenshots show the page hierarchy built into the app, which is easily accessed through broad swiping as outlined above.
In order to add a new feed, you will need to click the ‘+’ button at the top of the main menu when you first open the app. NewsRoom provides you with a list of suggested feeds (one of which is Best Android Apps Review!) that you can easily add. If you’d like to add another feed, you can either search for a site name or type the feed URL directly into the search box. For example, to add our site to your NewsRoom app
, you would type http://feeds.feedburner.com/BestAndroidAppsReview
in the search box. Now you can have the best Android app information and the most beautiful UI all in one place!
You’ll also find an extensive Preferences list that allows you to customize the app as you see fit. This is a tell-tale sign of a quality, user-centric app.
The one shortcoming with this app is that it does not offer Google Reader integration. Many of you with Android phones probably are using Google Reader as your RSS feed aggregator and it would be a luxury to have this app import all your favorite feeds. Hopefully this will be added. If this isn’t possible, the search feature could use some upgrading.
Overall, NewsRoom proves that Android can (and does) have incredibly polished apps that offer a high level of functionality. If you want to stay up-to-date with your favorite sites, NewsRoom is for you. Scan the QR code with Barcode Scanner
(or click on the code if you’re reading from your phone) for the direct link to NewsRoom in the Android Market.
Related Reviews & Articles: