Top Android App: My Data Manager Free
My Data Manager Free lets you take control of your mobile data consumption, saving you money as you use your data connection more wisely.
- Version: 1.1.11
- Size: 1.10MB (no apps2SD)
- Category: Tools
- Price: Free (~$4.17 ad-free version)
My Data Manager Free monitors the data you use over your mobile connection, WiFi, and while roaming. For reporting accuracy and proper notifications, you’ll need to enter the general details of your mobile plan. In particular, the type of plan you use (monthly vs. pay-as-you-go), data allotment (fixed amount vs. unlimited), and the date your billing cycle begins.
The collected data information is displayed as either a bar chart or pie chart depending on your preferences in the app’s menu. If you click on a specific item (e.g. an app or service like streaming media) you can view historical usage for previous billing cycles. This information could be extremely useful if you’re looking for ways to avoid overage charges or if you’re looking to upgrade/downgrade your current data service plan. Specifically, the data usage information is on a per app basis giving you the power to manage or uninstall apps that use more data than you’d like.
An additional view is accessible with the “Last 30 Days” button in the top right of the app’s homescreen. This plot displays the distribution of data used over your mobile, WiFi, and roaming connections over the last month.
Note: This Android app doesn’t support apps2SD because it disrupts its basic functionality. Plus, its size is relatively small in relation to the features it provides.
- Monitor your data usage over mobile, WiFi, and roaming connections
- Data consumption displayed on a per app basis
- Set notifications for specific data usage limits
- Homescreen widget for quick reference
Areas for improvement:
- Option to display future, projected usage calculations (i.e. how much data you’re on pace to use by the end of the billing cycle), which would be especially useful for pay-as-you-go plans
Conclusion: The best Android app for monitoring and taking control of the amount of data your Android device is using. Leverage these details to avoid overage charges and to make educated decisions about your mobile plan.
Related Reviews & Articles: