Scan & Find Healthy Groceries w/ the Fooducate App
Fooducate Android app helps you scan and find healthy groceries. This app was created by dietitians and concerned parents with the goal of getting people to eat better.
- Version: 0.92
- Size: 3.61MB (no apps2SD)
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Price: Free
The Fooducate app boasts a database containing over 200,000 unique UPCs (and growing). The product information for each food is analyzed from the nutrition label and ingredients list.Unfortunately, the information provided is U.S. only.
Using the Fooducate app is simple, just pick up a food item from the shelf (or your cupboard) and scan it with the built-in barcode scanner. Or, shake your Android device to launch a random food’s product details page.
The returned details page features a product image, the calories per serving, % of people who like it, and the final grade. Additional information includes FoodPoints values, warnings, and other details the manufacturer may or may not have wanted you to know (e.g. extensive processing). The various warnings displayed for some foods include excessive sugar, trans fats, controversial food colorings, and confusing serving sizes. The alternatives tab displays related items that earn a better grade than the product you’ve scanned. A nice feature is that you can instantly see the reasons why another item is better, like having healthier ingredients and more nutrients.
- Scan 200,000+ foods and find healthy alternatives instantly
- Quickly check a food’s grade based on its nutritional information and ingredients list
- Warning details displayed e.g. high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, controversial food colorings
- Handy, attractive interface is ideal for quick scans at the grocery score
Areas for improvement:
- Add the option to input a text search (e.g. Cheerios) in addition to UPC code scanning
Conclusion: A convenient Android app for checking the nutritional value of foods using a quick UPC scan. Ideal for checking a few items you’re concerned about but does not scale well for checking an entire grocery list.
Related Reviews & Articles: