Top Android App: Awesome Drop
Awesome Drop gives you the power to drag & drop files from a web browser to your Android phone!
- Version: 1.0.12
- Size: 72.36KB
- Category: Tools
- Price: Free
Dragging files into the dropbox on the web immediately syncs them to your phone without any account or time-consuming login steps. Even better yet, you can forget about having to hook up your USB (especially annoying when the computer USB is also used with the wall charger… Vibrant)! In order to use this, you must have an HTML5 ready browser (Firefox 3.6, Chrome 5, or Safari 5).
- Visit http://labs.dashwire.com/drop (If you have issues, check your firewall settings)
- Open Awesome Drop on your Android phone and enter the PIN shown in the browser
- Drag files to the giant green “Drop Files Here” box in the browser
- Watch files instantly transfer to your phone
This app is ideal for when you are crunched for time and need to quickly transfer a file to your Android phone. Unlike cloud-based data storage services like Dropbox, Awesome Drop does not store your files on a server. That means this app can’t be used for keeping a synced library of music or as any type of file storage system. However, if you’ve purchased a few new songs and want them on your Android phone, Awesome Drop is perfect.
- No software download or login required
- Removes need for the USB cable for file transfers
- Minimal time required to setup and transfer files
- Works well over 3G or WiFi
Areas for improvement:
- Possible issues with obscure file formats
- Expand support for other browsers if possible, like IE8
- Add capability to transfer in the oppositre direction, from phone to PC
Conclusion: Awesome Drop is an app that will save you time by making file transfers from your computer to your Android phone incredibly easy. Once you’ve used it, you’ll be convinced.
Related Reviews & Articles: